Bring a toy and give more joy this holiday season.
Since our first ITPalooza on 12/12/12, we’ve raised over $250,000 for charity and supported the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation. Each year we’ve built the magnificent Toy Wall – a testament to the generosity of the South Florida tech community.
If you’ve visited ITPalooza, you’ll know what I mean. The Toy Wall stands apart as a shining example of our community pulling together for a cause greater than each of us.
This year, I know many of you have already secured your Toys for Tots pledge tickets and many of you have purchased your passes. My appeal to you, is that every visitor to ITPalooza brings a toy and helps to build the Toy Wall gift by gift.
Over past 6 years, ITPalooza has raised more than $250,000 in toys and cash making us the 3rd largest single-contributor in the region to the Toys for Tots Foundation.
Apply to this job
SherlockTalent is seeking a Software Developer with C++ to C# skills for a temp-to-perm opportunity.
The successful candidate will work with a senior developer to migrate legacy C++ code to C# in a full .NET environment. Experience with TFS and agile development is required. The developer will need to work with a business analyst and technical writer to document the code being migrated. Strong written and verbal English skills are required. Strong verbal Mandarin is a plus.
- Application development using C#/C++
- Collaborate with peers on feature and architecture implementation plans
- Prepare technical documentation as required
- Interface with other groups and disciplines as necessary for the completion of assignments including SQA, Tech Writers, Project Manager, and Product Managers.
- Prior experience with C#, TFS, Visual Studio, C++, ASP.Net, MVC, SQL Server
- Able to transfer C++ code into C#
- Experience with Azure or AWS.
- Develop good quality code for a web-based application.
- Financial/banking industry experience is a big plus
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
- Team player, detail oriented.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
- Mandarin a PLUS
SherlockTalent loves to share a $500 referral bonus!
“U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.”
Johanna is currently an analyst at The FAN Fund. She graduated with her MBA from Rollins Crummer Graduate School (Winter Park, FL) where she also completed her BA in International Business. As an Entrepreneurial Scholar of Distinction, Johanna had the opportunity to work with the angel group venVelo throughout graduate school.
The FAN Fund is an Orlando based venture capital firm investing in early-stage technology companies in Florida. The team is composed of CEOs, chairmen, founders, and investors but most important of all, they are all entrepreneurs who understand how to harness and unleash that spirit. The team looks for win-win opportunities every time they engage with a startup. They seek investments opportunities that allow them to bring strategic leverage, unique insights, and extraordinary multiplicative effects. The FAN Fund also looks for founding teams with integrity, vision, and grit. Their local presence allows them to engage and contribute to the success of their portfolio companies which include: Homee (http://www.homeeondemand.com/), Fat Merchant (https://fattmerchant.com/) among others.
The FAN Fund website states: “Capital. Guidance. Focus. Resources strategically deployed at the beginning of an entrepreneur’s journey can create astonishing positive ripples. We want to be that resource for great founding teams because we’ve been there ourselves and know what a difference it can make. We are investors, but we are also company builders at the core.”
Come and get the inside track on what Venture Capitalists do and how they select candidates. Have your questions about funding your startup through a VC answered.
Jobs and salaries are increasing in South Florida’s technology industry, according to a survey related to the annual ITPalooza conference.
An online and telephone survey of 200 tech professionals, conducted by the organizers of ITPalooza and South Florida Technology Alliance, found that 91 percent of South Florida employers said they plan to hire, and 60 percent of IT professionals are willing to consider new opportunities. In 2017, 53 percent of tricounty workers surveyed said they’d consider a new job.
On the salary front:
- 77 percent of respondents said salaries are rising for IT positions, compared with 57 percent in 2017.
- 49 percent said salaries have increased by up to 5 percent.
- 37 percent said salaries have increased more than 5 percent.
- 14 percent said salaries are flat.
But while tech talent is in demand, a tight labor market is driving employers to look outside the tri-county region even more than usual, because they can’t find the people with the skills they need, survey respondents said.
“Competition is fierce,” said Alex Funkhouser, ITPalooza co-founder and CEO of Miami Beach-based technology staffing firm SherlockTalent.
To attract talent, South Florida companies are “creating compelling advantages” around new technologies, such as artificial intelligence or machine learning.
Of those surveyed, 66 percent of hiring managers said there is not enough talent to go around in South Florida, while 34 percent said there is ample talent. Last year, 73 percent said there wasn’t enough talent in the region, and 27 percent said there was.
Skills in the shortest supply are those related to cybersecurity experts, artificial intelligence and data scientists, specialty engineers and software developers, according to the survey.
Yet 74 percent of respondents said that local universities are producing the talent needed by the IT industry.
The survey results come about a month before the ITPalooza conference, which is set for 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Dec. 13 at the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center, 1950 Eisenhower Blvd.
The conference has about 2,000 registrants and will feature 50 speakers including keynote speaker Jim McKelvey, co-founder of mobile payments company Square in San Francisco, and founder of LaunchCode, the St. Louis-based nonprofit provides training and apprenticeships.
“ITPalooza 2018 is a celebration of technologists in South Florida and a great way to support IT training and give back to our community,” said Tammy Kennedy, president of the South Florida Technology Alliance and event co-chair.
By: Marcia Heroux Pounds Contact Reporter South Florida Sun Sentinel
Apply to this job
SherlockTalent is looking for a Cisco Network Engineer for a world class technology organization striving to bring best-of-breed payment processing solutions to the more than 300 financial institutions that are already clients.
The Ideal Candidate will have experience working with Cisco Firewalls, as well as Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switches (Cisco ACI experience is a plus).
- Configure and setup Firewalls, VPN and Security appliances for access to vital business applications (specifically Cisco ASA firewalls, Catalyst switches, Nexus switches, and Cisco routers).
- Design of multi-server environments (including VMWare) including IP address schemes, DNS, WINS, and Port Channels etc.
- Configure and install client and server network software for upgrading and maintaining network and telecommunication systems.
- Managing vendor relationships.
- Provide technical assistance to internal and external clients.
- Troubleshoot network hardware, software applications, telephones and security systems to resolve operational issues.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 4 years of experience in systems administration. If no degree, additional job experience will be considered.
- Three or more years direct working experience as a Mid-or-Senior Level Network or Systems Engineer.
- Have a thorough understanding of the Internet and its workings (DNS, Security, IP Routing, HTTP, VPN, DHCP, TCP/IP, Email Routing, SPAM, etc.)
- Have a thorough understanding of Local Area Networking (LAN) and Wide Area Networking (WAN).
- Previous work experience administering/supporting LAN/WAN environments.
- In-depth working knowledge of Firewalls, Routers & Switches.
- Specific in-depth working knowledge of Cisco Firewalls.
- Specific in-depth working knowledge of Cisco Catalyst and Nexus switches.
- Specific in-depth working knowledge of Cisco ACI is a plus.
- Specific in-depth working knowledge of VMWare is a plus.
- Cisco Certs Would be a Plus
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE certification) Huge Plus!
SherlockTalent loves to share a $500 referral bonus!
“U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.