S.T.E.M. education (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) is perhaps the most important thing we can do for the future our country and a great gift we can bestow upon our children. Hope Jahen’s new autobiography ‘Lab Girl’, makes this point in the most beautiful way possible. If you are looking for a totally enthralling holiday read, then pick up a copy and be amazed!
Hope Jahren, a professor of geobiology at the University of Hawaii, conveys the utter strangeness of plants: these machines, “invented more than 400 million years ago,” that create sugar out of inorganic matter — wondrous machines upon which human life itself depends.
Read and listen to an interview with scientist Hop Jahren.
Apply to this job
Senior Front End Web Developer
Small, creative agency with a super nimble team of web, app and mobile app experience specialists that craft digital solutions for midsize and large organizations.
- 8+ years of experience in building websites, apps, web apps
- 5+ years of WP experience, custom templates, themes, plugins, & routine maintenance & security reviews
- Expertise in creating, maintaining, and optimizing MySQL databases
- Deep understanding of the LAMP and ability to spin up new local dev environments, cloud servers
- Understanding of DNS & domain management, firewall & VPN technologies and virtual servers
- Experience with cross-platform/browser quality assurance
- Experience with Git, Grunt or Gulp, and terminal scripting
- Experience building responsive web and mobile experiences
- Taking a central role in the maintenance, development, and delivery of multiple WordPress and PHP based websites for existing and new clients
Client facing role, working independently and with team members to generate estimates; review, identify and analyze requirements; conduct audits and benchmarking; generate ideas and solutions; and solving problems
Defining technology strategies to be communicated to internal & external audiences via presentations, system architecture diagrams, data model diagrams, process flow/workflow diagrams.
Generating, tracking & managing budgets allocated to contractors & employees.
Innovation is a complicated, time consuming and very expensive business. In the 60’s and 70’s the US Government was spending about 2% of GDP on innovation – excluding defense – much of this on the Space Race. Since then the amount has dropped to around 0.7% of GDP.
However the private sector is spending in spades on autonomous cars, drone delivery, augmented reality, etc. But there is a problem.
In 1996, Larry Page and Sergey Brin started Google search on a single computer at Stanford University. By 2000, Google was serving 60 Million requests per day. Remarkable growth. But many of today’s innovations are suffering from Last Mile Syndrome. Google is working on many cool and innovative technologies but is having tremendous difficulties covering the last mile to the consumer.
Mark Zuckerberg’s Free Basics which is designed to provide people with access to useful services on their mobile phones in markets where internet access may be less affordable, is having some reasonable success. This appears more the result of negotiation with carriers than overcoming a technological or innovative obstacle.
SherlockTalent is similarly adopting technology, innovation and partnerships to help our customers cross the last mile and close the Talent gap. If you would like to learn more about our innovative approach, please feel free to reach out to me. [email protected]
Apply to this Job
Senior .NET Developer
Our Client located near the Roads area is looking for a .Net Software Developer – Start up social media company.
- Work closely with project manager and development teams to build leading edge user-interface and backend solutions.
- Translate detailed specifications into new or enhanced solutions including coding and deployment of .NET services and web pages
- Write and maintain thorough development documentation
- Provide maintenance and support of deployed applications in production environment
- Follow project requirements and deadlines ensuring quality deliverables on schedule
- Be responsible for coding standards
- 3-5 years’ experience in developing Web applications
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Knowledge of C#, ASP .NET, MVC, Web API, Visual Studio 2012+
- Knowledge of MSSQL and stored procedures
- Excellent Analytic/Logical skills
- Exposure to AWS
- Entity Framework, Jira
- Willingness and desire to learn any of the above and more
- Must be available to work immediately in the Miami area, FL
- Must be eligible to work in the US
Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of ITPalooza (12/12/12) and last Thursday was the 5th Annual ITPalooza.
The event was a tremendous success and I heard only positive feedback from Sponsors and Attendees alike.
That’s not to say there were no problems or that we will not be working hard to resolve and improve.
If you were involved in ITP16, I’d love to hear your feedback: [email protected]
For loads of great ITPalooza pics, please visit the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ItPalooza/