Responsible for the configuration, operation, and administration of network hardware (servers), software (Windows, Linux, VMware, MS Exchange, SharePoint), and communication (Routers (Cisco), Switches, Bridges, Firewalls, Wireless, VOIP Systems). Define and implement solutions to integrate local and wide area networks and/or other host-based networks.
Nature and Scope
Position reports to Director of Engineering. Incumbent has routine contact with information systems staff, all levels of employees as end users, and vendor representatives.
Essential Area of Responsibility – All areas of responsibility listed below are essential to the satisfactory performance of this position by any/all incumbents, with reasonable accommodation, if necessary. Any non-essential functions are assumed to be included in "other related duties as assigned":
• Analyzes needs. Recommends appropriate network configurations to meet needs and departmental standards.
• Implements and maintains local and wide area networks (bridges, routers, gateways, remote access servers, domain servers, security firewalls, applications, Internet, Intranet…..).
• Designs, configures, monitors and optimizes local and wide area networks for optimal performance, maximum availability, minimal maintenance, and reasonable costs.
• Performs preventative and fault isolation maintenance on the local and wide area networks.
• Designs, configures, maintains and manages network security for local and wide area networks.
• Integration of voice, data and video applications on the local and wide area networks.
• Analyzes, recommends, and evaluates new hardware, software, and communications products for network compatibility and applicability.
• Develops, maintains and updates a library of technical documentation.
• Performs advanced diagnostics and maintenance on desktop devices when additional expertise is required.
• Works with cross-functional teams in the design and implementation of information technology.
• Keeps current on new developments and techniques in information technology.
• Performs other related duties as required.
A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent technical or professional experience in the design, installation, and maintenance of local and wide area network is required.
A minimum of five years related work experience with a minimum of three years installing and maintaining local and wide area networks is required.
Must have documented knowledge of local and wide area networks; computer software and hardware; knowledge of data communications, network planning and analysis; and vendor evaluations. Cloud computing experience a plus.
Must possess strong analytical skills and effective interpersonal and communication skills to interact with a wide range of users having different levels of computer expertise. Ability to design workable solutions to problems in a timely manner.
Experience with Windows, Linux, VMware, Cisco Router, Cisco Wireless, Asterisk, VMware, Exchange and SharePoint a must.
Must have VMware VCP Certification and working knowledge of Cisco.